Saturday, October 28, 2017

Lifelong Learner

Two years ago, if you would have asked me what kind of tools I knew how to use, I would have responded, "a power drill, a sander, and a tile saw, with supervision."  Now my husband and I are arguing over who moved the tool out of it's usual location, who used all the screws, or who stole my drill bits, etc.

Albert Einstein said, "once you stop learning, you start dying."

When we moved into our current house, Will and I both knew it was outdated and was going to be a "fixer upper."  I spent the first year doing a lot of the easy cosmetic stuff such as painting, but I learned that I really hate painting large areas.  I don't have the patience; I just want it done.  I also decided that waiting on the hubby to get things done was not an option either.  He's busy working, bringing home the bacon to pay for all the repairs, and sometimes making repairs at rental units.  After looking at my ugly kitchen for months, I was tired of waiting on the hubby to get started, so I boldly said, "I'm going to start working on the kitchen, I can't make it look any uglier!"  So, I asked him to teach me to use the miter saw to help.  Then I needed a quick lesson on the nail gun.  After those two lessons...I was hooked.  I did cosmetically improve all the uppers in our kitchen this summer and enjoyed most of the time spent building and learning.  I've learned to use so many tools over the last few months and I love building things.  I still have to question myself and the hubby on the angled cuts, because "measure twice, cut once, right?"  In my case, have the hubby check behind you multiple times, then cut those angles!  I also have still only assisted in using the table saw...I mean, that's limb loss...eventually I'll get there.

Sometimes it's not about the books, or a college class, sometimes it's just about trying and learning something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment