Monday, June 28, 2010

Mini Update

As most of you know, we have had a time with Mini and sickness in the last few months. Back in November, she had her first reported case of strep, but then it really all started in May when I just happened to look in her mouth and saw how huge her tonsils were. I asked a friend who is a nurse at our doctor's office to look at it a few days later and she was not only surprised at the size of her tonsils, but also surprised that Mini was still eating normally. She had no fever and never acted differently, but upon a doctor's visit, she was diagnosed with a double ear infection and strep. A few days after finishing the antibiotic, we went back to the doctor with equally as big tonsils and were told that we were Strep negative, but because of her tonsils and swollen glands we should start looking for sleep apnea and should not eliminate the possibility that Mini could have Mono. A week later, we went back to the doctor with a 103.7 temperature and this time Strep was confirmed. I had to miss most of the last week of school with my students which was very hard for me, but I was more frustrated than anything that I could not protect my child from sickness. I was talking to our ANGEL, aka our friend/nurse the other day about possibly seeing her in the office soon because Mini's tonsils were still big, and thus she spoke with the doctor the next day. To make a long story short, we were referred to ENT and saw him today...his comment was "Wow, her tonsils are HUGE!" I'm thinking that for an ENT to say that...it is pretty significant! He confirmed everything I was thinking, in that her tonsils have to GO, and we have scheduled the surgery for August 6th. I hate that my child has to have surgery, but I'm hoping that my child will finally know what it feels like to feel well!

1 comment:

  1. Praying for that sweet girl! Dr. A will take good care of her :) Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete