Saturday, April 17, 2010

Sassy Saturday

Since I have been so slack about posting Fashion Friday on Friday, a new day is born...Sassy Saturday! Today's feature is the corkscrew bow, which proved a little more difficult then I had imagined. Usually I can look at things and figure out how to make them, but since Mini doesn't own any of these bows, this posed a little problem. I had hoped to find a tutorial on the Internet that I could just link, but all the tutorials I found did not work 100%, so I combined some of their ideas with my own to provide a tutorial for you.

Items needed: pins, needle and thread, skinny dowel rods, ribbon, liquid starch, hot glue gun, pan, oven, and hair clips.
Step One: Dip entire ribbon in the liquid starch, so that the entire ribbon is wet, but not dripping.

Step Two: Pin the end of the ribbon to the dowel rod.

Step Three: Wrap the ribbon around the dowel rod and then secure the other end with a straight pin; I ended up wrapping 6 dowel rods.

Step Four: Bake in the oven at 275 degrees for 20 minutes. Then let cool and twist off of the dowel rod carefully.

Step Five: Cut the corkscrews into similar lengths; I used 12 corkscrews for each bow so that each would be full. Mix the corckscrews up and then gather them in the middle. Stick a needle and thread through the center trying to go through the majority of the ribbons.


Step Six: Start wrapping the thread around the ribbons so that they are clustered together. When finished thread the needle back through and tie the end off.

Step Seven: Hot glue the ribbon clusters to a hair clip. I always like to clip the hair clip to cardboard so that the two sides do not get stuck together.

Here is Mini sporting her new bows with pigtails. Overall the bow was easy to make once I figured out a method actually worked.

1 comment:

  1. Well, you didn't waste any time getting started on those, huh? hehe!!! They are adorable :) I think I may have figured out what I want for Owen's room, by the way!

    ReplyDelete